Pumpkin scones *
Posted on January 23rd, 2013
Boiling time on stove: 15 minutes
Cooking time in the DreamPot: 20 minutes minimum
Cook in the:
✓ 5 litre DreamPot
✓ 6 litre DreamPot
SR flour | 3 cups
Powdered milk | 2/3 cup
Baking powder | ½ teaspoon
Castor sugar | 1 dessertspoon
Soft butter | 1 dessertspoon
Salt | ¼ teaspoon
Dry mashed pumpkin | 1 cup
Egg | 1 beaten combined with warm water to make 225ml total
Pepita | 3 dessertspoons
- Fill the large inner saucepan with 2 litres of hot water and bring to the boil on the stove.
- Grease the small inner saucepan with cooking spray and insert over the large inner saucepan.
- Boil on the stove as a double saucepan, to preheat while the scone mixture is being prepared. You will note that the steam will be visible between the two inner pots. Keep it boiling well!
- Mix together flour, powdered milk, baking powder, sugar and salt with a fork.
- Rub in butter with fingertips.
- Mix in 2 dessertspoons of pepitas.
- Add the dry mashed pumpkin and egg mixture. Mix together with a fork to make a moist dough.
- Spoon the scone dough onto a floured surface. Press out into a round with floured hands to approximately 17 cm across.
- Cut into 12 scone rounds with a 5cm scone cutter and place into the small inner saucepan, 9 scones around and 3 in the middle. Press into the top of each scone pepita seeds.
- Cover with the stainless steel lid, and boil for 15 minutes as a double saucepan, ensuring that the steam is visible at all times. Don’t lift the lid during this boiling time!
- Transfer into the DreamPot for the minimum cooking time.
- When convenient after the minimum cooking time, tip the scones out onto a tea towel.